Tattoos


Lets start from the beginning. When I was twelve I went with my mother to have her first and only tattoo (so far), a small Celtic cross on the inside of her ankle. I remember her screaming and just making a right scene, at least the tattoo artist found it funny. But my overwhelming memory is how much I fell in love with the art of it. 

 So when I was eighteen I had my first tattoo done, a small flower on my ankle and I adore it. Since then I have had two more, a sun on my forearm and a flower on the back of my shoulder.

Now of course it is far more mainstream to have a tattoo, only the other day I noticed my doctors, middle aged receptionist had a full sleeve; you have to be prepared that not everyone will approve.
Although you should never do it for anyone else. You just have to be prepared to have a few looks and answer the same questions.

Wont you regret it? Well maybe, I don't know who I'll be in years to come. But I look at them like scars, its amazing how quickly they become just part of you and I'm sure if I ever regret them I'll just accept it as a part of me like I have my stretch marks and scars.

What about when your old and your skin is saggy? I love this question, as if I would be happy that my skin is saggy anyway. If I've got wrinkly faded tattoo's, well at least I'll look like one badass grandma.

What about your wedding day? It's surprising how often girls ask me this. I think people have an image in their head of the perfect bride and tattoo's don't fit it. But why shouldn't they, does it make me look less feminine? well so be it, if I want to wear a bright orange dress and army boots to my wedding thats my own choice, not that I do but I'm trying to make a point. Also I would hope that whoever I was marrying would know and be happy with my tattoo's. 

What about work? now this is the only question that should make you really think before getting a tattoo. Like I said already its not uncommon to see people with tattoo's in all walks of life but that doesnt mean that the path you go down will be happy with tattoo's. So just think about it carefully, maybe choose a placement that you can cover, or just accept that it could hinder what you want to do, it probably not going to but its something that needs to be considered.

So here are my big tips. 
  1. Leave it awhile between choosing a design and having it done, you want to make sure its what you want.
  2. Choose a placment carefully.
  3. Take a sugery drink with you and a bottle of water.
  4. Eat something before you go but not a massive meal.
  5. Look at previous tattoo's your artist has done! you could have the most beautiful design in the word but if the tattoo artist is useless its not going to end well.
  6. Check that they are using sterile equipment and that the place is regully cleaned.
  7. Take the aftercare seriously!
So actually getting the tattoo's I know what your asking, does it hurt? well it varies from person to person and on your artist. Like I said my mum screamed and I had a tatttoo in the same place and it just felt like a slight scratch. So it depends. But if you really want it you'll put up with the pain. All I would say is start small, my first tattoo was small for a reason, its because if it is really painful you don't have that much to go before it's finished, the last thing you want is a half finished tattoo.

Aftercare is so important, it can be the difference between a beautiful tattoo and a mess. You also want to avoid infection like the plague.

So all artists say something different and if you ask google a million different suggestions will come up. So this is whats worked for me. They should wrap your tattoo in clingfilm or some other kind of thin plastic after its done. This is to stop the air getting to it, clothes getting on it and blood and ink and all the other crap that will come out getting everywhere. Its also plasic because bandages would stick to it. Leave it on for one to three hours.
Don't touch it for the next two weeks unless you've washed your hands.
After that wash with antibacteral soap or I use lightly sea salted warm water (should taste like tears) on a cotton pad. Do not soak it or rub at it too much, you have to be really delicate. Wash two to three times a day.
After washing use Bepanthen cream (its gentle and will help the skin heal). Spread a thin layer. Do this everyday for two to three weeks.
During this time avoid tight clothing, soaking in water (baths, ocean, swimming pools, ect) or very hot showers, exessive exercise (over sweating can damage the tattoo) and the sun.
Also don't, no matter how much you want too pick, scratch or peel any scabing or hard and flakey layers of skin, it can damage or even remove the colour. Also avoid having other people touching it.

But remember that it is your body and if this is what you want to do with it, do it.


 Happy tattooing.


Comments

Popular Posts