Snow Day



We haven't really had proper snow for a good couple of years. Probably three or four. And it's been the saddest thing. Ever since I was little I have always been the biggest fan of snow. Especially when it falls thick and fast and transforms everything into a winter wonderland.

I know it can be a nightmare with travel and work and just getting about and living life. But come on we only get max a week or two of snow a year in England and its rarely mad amount's. So why complain and moan about it. Just get outside, wrap up warm and have some fun.

That's what I did anyway.

I woke up to my mum (I think she's a bigger kid than me) bursting into my room at the crack dawn and pulling my curtains open. To my amazement over night the maddest amount of snow had fallen and it was still coming down. The day before I had been sat in the sun, in my garden, drinking a cup of tea in the morning. It was surprisingly warm in the sun for a winter day. So it was such a bizarre thing to wake up to. They had forecast snow but I really only expected a bit of a flurry, nothing like this.

So I burst out of bed to get a better look and called my brother who was staying a just few miles away. He was up too and not as excited as me. He usually has to get up at the crack of dawn and get a train into London so he wasn't very pleased about being stuck in.
To take his mind off it I suggested a 'snow man off'. Yes its a thing. Like I said he was a few miles away so we had possibly the most modern, technological competition. There we were still in our pyjamas, wrapped up in coats and scarfs. The our phones video calling each other.

I was completely useless as it. I so thought I would be good. I only really managed through some fluke, to build a mound of snow that somehow looked like a mouse. I added a few snowballs for feet and ears and scavenged some pebbles from under the snow and I was done.
My brother on the other hand. Well. His was amazing. Yes it was meant to be a knight and ended up looking more like a robot but I was amazed all the same. Given that we spent the same amount of time on them and his was 4 foot tall and had bloody abs and mine was about 30cm tall and an ear fell off right after taking the photo.
My mum came and judged the competition. We decided before hand that it would be judged on three criteria. Yes we took it that seriously. And yes I know its mad. The three criteria were style, comedy and size. This was when we were still feeling confident about it and imagined we would be snow sculpting god's. As you can imagine my brother won but it was decided mine was cutest. So I'll take that.

We honestly had the best day and laughed way too much. Age is just a number and its so important to still act like a kid whenever you can. I hope that even when we're both old a decrepit and on are zimmer frames that me and my brother will still act like little kids together. And I love that my mum still acts like a big kid with us too.

I came in eventually when the cold got too much and made a hot chocolate and cocooned myself in bed to warm up.


Comments

Popular Posts