Typewriters


I've always had a complete love of typewriter's. And recently I finally brought the most beautiful one. Honestly it's as close to perfect as I could imagine.

I can't remember what provoked me to look. Must of been in a conversation with my brother. But I got onto eBay and had a look and within minutes I found it. It's an Imperial 200 light blue typewriter with odd yellow keys and a green hard travel case. Its old so it has imperfections. Yellowing keys and the odd scuff but overall it works perfectly and its actually in really good nick. And considering that it only cost me £34.00 at the end of the auction I couldn't be happier. It was an absolute steal. It arrived a few days after I won the auction. It was wrapped in more newspaper than I think I've ever seen in my life. And left my house looking like a hoarders. But as I pulled it out it was beautiful.

eBay is always a tricky beast, you hear horror stories sometimes about people ordering a grands worth of iPad and ending up with a photo of one. So when I saw that the seller had no reviews because they had only just joined, I was very nervous. But risked it anyway. And I'm so glad I did.

I rolled the paper in and me, a 23 year old and my slightly younger brother sat at it and started hammering at the keys. (Is keys the right word, I feel like I'm getting it confused with a piano. I like the word key). I didn't realise just how hard you have to press down. I can understand now why my mum and people of her generation and older, hammer so hard on their laptop keyboards. Must be out of habit.
I can also understand why people were so ecstatic about the computer being brought to market because it can be an absolute nightmare. Not only do you have to really press down and get the pressure right but you obviously can't erase things or move anything around. I made so many mistakes the first couple of times using it. It was honestly so infuriating.

But I love it. I'm absolutely infatuated.

Comments

Popular Posts